Friday, February 13, 2015

Will turns 4!

Like his mummy, Will loves to plan ahead. He has a clear idea of the things he likes and tries so hard to explain how he wants things to go. Since his 2nd Birthday he's been so certain about exactly how he wants his day to go. This year was explained in such a detailed manner but the concept was lovely in it's simplicity. Will decided 6 months ago that he wanted a car cake and of course wanted a party with LOTS of people. He named most of the people he wanted to invite and we negotiated it as it was getting a little out of control. Will was happy to negotiate and a few weeks prior he asked me if he could have pancakes for his birthday. "Lots of pancakes to share with all my friends...with blueberries, strawberries and lots of berries and yoghurt" he told me quite seriously. 

We decided that a brunch was the way to go, and it would probably work well for people as it was Australia Day and many people were going off to BBQ's etc during the day. I loved that the preparation was really simple and really cost effective too! 

I had looked at some cake options with Will but mum put a bit of a spanner in the works by bringing a recipe/pic of a tip truck/car from the Woman's Weekly Cake book. It was a bit more complex than the original plans but Will wanted to do the cake Nana suggested. Ha ha
I cooked a choc cake I made for the first time the other day. That was the easy part. I then had to assemble it which wasn't so easy...but I got there in the end despite my whinging throughout the process :-P ...and with a little help from our resident Engineer, Peter :-) Once that was done the icing was problematic too but I felt like we did a good job in the end. The cake wasn't quite as red as we'd hoped but Will didn't mind at all. It looks more Red in the photo but was a bit more pink looking in real life. Will loves Pink so he wasn't phased anyway!







He was very excited to open his presents.






Will has graduated from the trike to a proper bike now. 

I was a bit preoccupied and didn't get any photos of everyone eating but the pancakes went down really well. 

We just did one game of pass the parcel. The kids were plenty busy just playing in the yard for the most part. 







Just like last year, Will didn't even eat the cake. Sometimes I can't figure that boy out! He ate the same cake only the week before and loved it. He's a bit funny at social events with his eating...





We had a lovely morning and Pete and I got to take Will out to the movies to see Big Hero 6. We loved it so much and were very entertained when Will ran to the front at the end for a bit of a boogie. Seems it's becoming a tradition these days! 




Will was pretty wrecked at the end of the day but didn't quite fall asleep on the way home! 


No comments: