Sunday, October 26, 2008

Laryngitus


Wednesday at school I was struggling to project my voice properly during my year 8 Japanese class. Thursday it was worse and I knew I would be struggling to teach. The kids were great though when I told them I needed them to be really focused on me and working quietly. Thurs arvo I spoke to the AP(assistant Principal) to ask for Friday off. I was a little surprised when she mentioned how tight we were for staff (Its year 12 Valedictory), so I asked if I could at least have my Fri afternoon off to go to a Dr. My colleagues were a bit taken aback to hear that I wasn't allowed the whole day off. Anyway, I went in Fri and my colleagues looked at me, heard me attempt to say good morning, and were adament that I shouldn't teach. My mate Simon immediately rang the AP and told her that he was covering my lesson 1 and 2 and that I just needed lesson 3 covered. He advocated for me and managed to get all my lesson covered. He is a darling! The staff I work with are amazing. We are all there for each other and willing to sacrifice for each other etc. It really is the best group of ppl I've ever worked with.
I still went to my lessons at the beginning to write stuff on the board and collect assignments. My year 9's were the cutest though. For a bunch of teenagers, they really are sweet and sincere. They were all telling me they'd miss me and that they hoped I'd get better. I got lots of high fives and get well soons as I left.

The dr told me to take a few days to rest my voice etc and gave me a perscription for what he said was the yummiest tasting cough syrup (I had a nasty chest cough at that stage). I got to the Chemist and asked for the syrup. The lady who served me said 'Have you ever had this syrup before?' Its the worst tasting stuff available, but the most effective one I know. I didn't realise that the Dr was being sarcastic...

Has anyone tried it, its called 'SENEGA and AMMONIA' and it is FOUL! It tastes vaguely like Sarspirella and it makes you shudder big time!

Anyway, I'm feeling pretty miserable with a runny nose. It never ceases to amaze me how much snot one can produce whilst sick....EWWWW

4 comments:

HandS said...

thanks for the description!!!...it is amazing tho... do you have the flu shots available??? and do you still use skype? i think I found your name...Heidi has it too, tho whether she gets signed in I have no idea.. she usually has msn messenger open and it works a similar way...

The Kings said...

Yes - that does taste awful, but is supposed to be excellent! The staff sound fantastic. Hope you feel better soon.

Elle said...

sorry to hear you are sick! I am glad you are updating your blog though :) Love the japanese meal you had - looked like so much fun!
Love ya,,

Collette said...

haha trust you to comment on the amount of snot your nose is making! love it mel..get well soon!