Sunday, February 12, 2012

What Will likes

Will is an absolutely awesome son. I couldn't have hoped for a happier, content and less fussy baby. Sure he has his moments but for the most part he is easy to please, entertain, feed, and just live with. He loves Peek a Boo, chasies, hide and seek and squeezing in between my legs. He loves being sat on your lap and tipped backwards. He loves being thrown around and he loves when we dance with him. He has ALWAYS loved Billy Joel and he remains his favourite it seems. Will used to love being read to and even turned the pages from a very young stage but it seemed to get harder to read to him as he started to crawl. He just didn't want to sit and read AT ALL.

I've been really making an effort to read with him every day and to find books that are interactive. He loves quiet books, pop up books and audio books. A trip to the local library the other day was the best thing I've done. I'm ashamed to say that he was 1 before I took him to the library. It was one of those things I'd been meaning to do for ages and it just never happened. Although Will wasn't interested in the books at all he had a blast at the library. He found a baby seat shaped like a dog that he pushed around the library, he made friends with a cute little girl and he enjoyed pulling the kids books off the shelf and walking around with them for awhile before dropping them and then repeating the process with a new book. I figured as long as he's enjoying the environment that's the main thing. I found a bunch of books I thought he'd like and I sat them up in a pile on the coffee table when we got home and he went over to the pile and picked a book up. I started reading to him and he actually sat on my lap for a minute. I kept persevering with this for a couple of days and he is now sitting on my lap a little longer each time and a couple of days ago he surprised me by selecting a book and bringing it over to me. I was THRILLED!
I'd love to know what some of your tips are for encouraging your kids to read etc. Though now I think I've got the ball rolling with Will it'll be easier to get him excited about reading.

I love this video. It's Will at 3 months old turning the pages as I read to him. Love Dr Seuss!

2 comments:

Lisa Helen said...

It sounds like you're doing a wonderful job Mel. There's no secret tricks, it's as always about consistency :) keep up the great work!

Jess said...

Did we talk about my epiphany of being "Generally" consistent.

I was thinking about when I was young and how I remember things a certain way. Like how Collette was annoying and mean to me. Not because she was like that ALL the time but because she was like that "generally" most of the time. So if you're amazing (which you are) most of the time. (which we all are)

Don't feel so guilty about the small stuff because he won't remember the 20% of the time you were crazy or fed him weetbix for dinner or got super upset with him. (ok maybe thats just me!) He'll just remember that you loved him more than grapes.


End of Epiphany. weeee