Sunday, February 5, 2012

In awe...

I have been wanting to post for over a week now about recent events that have had a profound impact on dear friends of mine - and a lasting impact on myself. It's so hard to know how to launch into it though. Every time I've gone to write a post I just feel that I can't adequately express how much I care about these amazing people and I don't want to make them feel awkward that I'm talking about them on my personal blog. However, knowing them and the gracious people they are I know they won't care whether I'm eloquent or not.

I'm not here to tell you their story. For that you can go here yourself - and I highly recommend that you do. All I'll say is that a lovely family I know was still grieving over the recent loss of their beautiful son, Noah, when they were faced with the sudden and unbelievable loss of their dearest husband and father, Aaron. So many of us just could not believe this could happen and it has taken awhile for the reality of this tragedy to sink in. However, through this loss I believe that not only the King family, but all who know them, along with a huge international community have taken time to reflect on their love for their families and friends and have a determination to not Count the Days but make the days count - which is the King family motto.

I have been following Lisa King's blog for awhile now and I am so grateful for her insights and just the candid way she opens up her whole family to the world. Throughout the unfolding of events Lisa has been a stalwart blogger and shared her deepest hurt AND love with the world and I think that makes her one of the most courageous women I know. Hers and her family's faith has remained steadfast even though they don't understand how and why this could happen to them. I am in awe not only at the resilience and faith of the King family - and their wonderful extended family and friends but at the way thousands of people have reached out to help.

A lovely lady called Naomi has a huge following on her blog seven cherubs and she has done the most lovely thing in setting up a charity for the King family. Within days people from around the world have donated money to help and so many of them didn't even know the Kings. I have been constantly checking the tally and getting so excited as it kept hitting the targets - 10,000, 15,000 then within a few days over 30,000.

I've been crying every day since I first found out about Aaron. I wasn't even close to Aaron but I knew what a great man he is and have respected him for a long time. Most of my tears have been tears of awe and gratitude as I have witnessed the Christlike love that is sweeping over the Kings like a big comforting blanket. Some tears though are still those of grief and empathy for a family who have already endured so much. I know that while we can't take the pain away we can combat the pain with unending love.

If you want to help, you can make a contribution HERE. The charity is open to people from around the world. Feel free to post the link on your blogs or FB accounts too.

For news articles about the King family go here

No comments: