Since getting pregnant, this popular advice has been a saving phrase for Peter and I. I've always been one to err on the side of caution when it comes to anything medical, and often just have trouble putting trust in others full stop. Whilst I don't like this quality in myself, I am happy that I've been in tune to it over the past few months, and feel that together, Pete and I have made decisions that were truly right for our family.
I'll share an experience that demonstrates why I'm reflecting on this at present.
As you'd know, Pete and I moved to Melbourne just before we had Will. Something we found difficult was finding a way to continue with my antenatal treatment in the manner we were used to in Adelaide. After a lot of research and asking others for advice we found a hospital close by that we were happy with but the catch was that we needed to see an external Obstetrician. We decided that it was worthwhile forking out $400 bucks so we could get in to a decent hospital and get weekly checkups until baby was born. Without going into too much detail, the OB had a terrible bedside manner and I was a bit sceptical about some of his advice...However, when it came to the delivery, he was brilliant - a real technician and the right person to deliver Will. All the midwives agreed he was 'interesting' but they would have him deliver their children any day.
At our post delivery check up last week, our OB urged me to have Will circumcised. I won't go into details, but he said he needed it done for legitimate medical reasons and I was prepared to have it done if it was in my son's best interest. When I got home I just felt odd and ill at ease about the idea. If we'd wanted to have the procedure done, we would have done it much earlier and why was it a sudden rush to have it done? Things seemed to get rolling so quick with setting up an appointment etc and I felt a bit pressured. We had to go to our local GP to get a referral so I decided I'd not just ask for a referral but get the Doc to do an examination and get a second opinion. I saw a wonderful female doctor and she told me that if Will was her son, she wouldn't have it done. I had a strong feeling at that point that my OB was motivated not for my son's good health, but for the extra cash he'd get for doing the procedure. I didn't want to put Will through such a traumatic and irreversible procedure just so some knife jockey could notch another surgery under his belt, and score some cash along the way.
I know this sounds cynical, but I have been so aware that there are many people in the medical industry simply in it for their own progression. I am so glad I got a second opinion and together with following the promptings from my Heavenly Father, made the best decision for our son at this time. In the future, we may need to consider this procedure, but I want it done for the right reasons.
2 comments:
In America, the National Doctors Association's official take on circumcision is that they have no take. There is no pressing medical evidence of either outcome being more favorable than the other, so it is left to the discretion of the parents. More often than not, parents go for whatever the dad has (circumcised or not). Many people here find out gender prior to birth and therefore have already made their decision about circumcision prior to a baby's birth, but interestingly, Marcos was circumcised when he was 3 years old! Crazy! It was just that little ring type, that chokes off the skin. Good luck making your decision! xoxo And nice job following the spirit on that one.
what ever decision you make will be the right one for your Will because you have done the exactly the right amount of reseach...ON YOUR KNEES...
Loved spending that time with you and Will(even is he did poo a huge poo during our cuddle time..lucky the nappy was a good on)..he is a darling little man who has amazing parents...Love ya Nettie and Kelv.XXXXXX
Post a Comment