Pete and I took the boys for a walk to the park yesterday. It was the most beautiful day and as we were walking along, Pete said "we have a family of 4!" We both commented on how amazing it felt. Our family is growing in the way that we'd always hoped. We're fairly certain we will have another child, but for now, life feels really complete. Pete and I took turns staying with Henry who was fast asleep in the pram while the other ran around with Will. It felt great to chase Will around and not have to worry about carrying all that belly around. I even went down the giant slide with him. Though I have a bruise on my butt to show for it :-P
Henry has easily settled into our family. He is a very placid and content little man. I keep thinking that everything is going to go pear-shaped at some point as he is just so easy to care for...but I'm enjoying each day as it comes and not worrying about the inevitable challenges that will arise with looking after a newborn and an active toddler. I'm not saying it isn't hard at times but I am just really enjoying this stage of Henry's life. I know he'll grow so quickly and I don't want to wish the time away like I did when Will was this age.
In the first 2 weeks I had to wake Henry to feed him as he just wanted to sleep all day. He is a hungry little guy overnight though and because he takes ages to feed my nights are pretty active. Pete has been amazing at letting me have lots of sleep on the weekend and has been redirecting Will to bed throughout the night which is great. Will's sleep habits are slowly getting better after being atrocious for the past 2 months.
Will is VERY enthusiastic about his little brother. I have to watch him like a hawk. I left Henry on his mat while I went to put the kettle on in the kitchen. It wouldn't have been more than 10 seconds and Will was basically lying on top of Henry when I got back. Henry wasn't phased but I almost freaked out! Will wants to smother Henry in kisses and cuddles which is lovely but it means I have to be vigilant. There is nothing malicious in his playing, he's just not very aware of his strength and size in relation to a baby. I'm trying to involve Will as much as possible. For the most part he will hand me nappies and wipes etc and loves assisting with his baby brother. He is very concerned when he hears Henry crying and will race down to our room and lean over the bassinet to see if Henry is alright. He is repeating a lot of the stuff I'm saying..."It's alright Henry, you're ok." etc etc. It is really sweet actually. Henry doesn't cry much at all. Will was not a crier either so I'm thankful for my laid back boys. I honestly wouldn't be phased if Pete and I just had boys. I'd just hope that they were good at keeping in touch with their mum as they grew older!
Life has slowed down a lot for now but I'm enjoying the pace for the moment. Although, admittedly I am chomping at the bit to get back into the gym! Taking the 2 boys to creche is going to require a lot more organisation on my part so we'll see how that goes when the time comes.
Henry is becoming more and more alert. Like Will, his neck strength from birth has been awesome. He is a strong little dude and even head butts me when he's hungry. Will did that too! A lot of people comment that he is just a dark haired version of Will. They are indeed alike but I think Henry looks even more like a Jones than Will did.
We haven't taken nearly as many photos of Henry as we did with Will. Of course it's not surprising as I'm just a lot more busy with Will and the day to day house stuff that I forget to take the camera out. I'd love to get some professional newborn shots but Henry is already just shy of being a month old so I doubt it will happen now. We didn't do it with Will either so at least they're even :-)
We've only had 1 family photo opportunity so we'll need to take some more asap. I do think the ones we have are ok though. I am absolutely in love with my 3 boys - our family of 4!
No comments:
Post a Comment