Friday, August 5, 2011

Yay for August

As my dear Nettie accurately stated, I have been neglecting this blog. The thing is, when I have time I just feel so uninspired to do much of anything. It has been quite a trying time for me of late. I had such a busy time in July I almost decided to hibernate until the end of the year, so put off I was with any form of socialising. Whilst I had the wonderful opportunity to witness my dear friend's sealing in the Adelaide temple and catch up with loved ones in Adelaide, I just wanted to be home. Will just started teething and seems to have reached the point where he doesn't want to sleep anywhere except his cot. The trip was really rough on him and I felt terrible for upsetting the awesome routine we had worked so hard to achieve. He was so good when we did have to go out but after 1 day of him screaming and no nap at all I was just yearning for the comfort of my own home and the support of my husband.

Travelling on your own with a baby is a real eye opener. Will is an angel on the plane and loves the airport so I know I don't even have it tough compared to some parents, but the simple effort of juggling luggage, a baby and outings was enough for me. Arriving at my friend's Wedding reception to discover a huge flight of stairs up to the reception venue and no elevator nearly made me cry. I was cursing my decision to wear high heels. I said a silent prayer of thanks when I discovered I was sitting next to an awesome couple from my old ward who readily offered to hold Will for me while I had to run back and get stuff out the car I'd forgotten. I was fortunate to find a park right outside the venue but it was only a 1 hour spot. I said a silent prayer that I wouldn't get a ticket, another prayer later that Will would have at least a little snooze in his baby carrier, and that I could stay for the important parts of the reception. I was so thankful Heavenly Father answered each of these pleas. I've noticed my prayers are a lot more simple these days...Heavenly Father, please just let him sleep. Heavenly Father, please help me sleep, Heavenly Father bless us with health and strength. Most often, the answers come in his perfect timing and I'm learning to be patient when Heavenly Father decides to answer me later, or in a different way.
A few days after returning from Adelaide I had to head off again, this time to Tassie. My mum had asked me to take over her foot-care business just for a week while she's overseas with dad. Mum generally sees her clients every 6 weeks and with her being away for 3 months some of them just couldn't hold off on needing nail trims etc. Juggling this with a baby was never going to be a good idea but mum pleaded with me to help and I figured I owed her a lot anyway. I was stressing out trying to figure out what I was going to do with Will. I couldn't drag him around disabled group homes, nursing homes etc and I couldn't rely on only 1 or 2 people to babysit him (especially with him being so clingy and temperamental at present). What happened is that my lovely Grandma in Adelaide volunteered to come to Tassie to be my live in babysitter for Will. I am so grateful to her for doing this. The first few days were horrendous with Will screaming non-stop and then upon my arrival, stopping immediately as I hugged him, turning to look at my Grandma and smiling his cutest smiles for her as if to say "I just wanted my mum, and you're ok now that she's here!"
Anyway, after a week of a lot of ups and downs we did eventually get home. The flight home was a complete farce but I just don't have the energy to go into details or the desire to be negative about it. One thing I will say, is that Will was AMAZING. For being at the airport for 3 hours and a bumpy flight he was exceptional and won lots of adoring fans :-)

w mmm /.uuu rrrrrrrrrrrf

vvvvvvvvvvvv

That's what Will has to say about that :)

Because of the hectic nature of the last month and the work I did for mum I've been able to make a decision that I'd been considering for a little while. I've decided not to go back to work this year. I had been considering doing some relief teaching in 4th Term, but after just a week of short bursts of work I've decided it's not the right time. I think if things were different and I had family support over here I'd be able to go back and perhaps do 1 day a week, but it's just not going to happen. I'm not ready to put Will in day care either. We'll weigh up our options again towards the end of the year. If I was in Adelaide I'd probably be working now (at least doing relief work at my old school). I've had a year of leave and have asked for another year of leave. I still don't know whether I'm just being stupidly hopeful that we'll end up back in Adelaide or whether it's more of a case of not wanting to let go of a job I just loved...I'll have to make a more definite decision at some point so will keep you posted.

This post seems so scattered and I'm starting to get a bit light headed so I'm thinking I better sign off for now. I'm so thankful that it's August. Mum and dad get back at the end of the month and I'm busting to see them. I know they're busting to see Will most of all ;-) It's my 29th Birthday as well this month and I'm looking forward to going on another date with Peter as mum and dad will be here then and will be kicking us out the door to spend time solely with Will.

I hope August has great things in store for each of you.

Much love xxx

taken at almost 6 months. As you can see, he has lost his curls. DEVASTATING!!!!
but he's still devastatingly handsome!!!

5 comments:

The Kings said...

Isn't being a Mum THE hardest but best job ever! I totally understand about getting then out of routine. Sometimes you just don't think it's worth it. It DOES get a lot easier- hang in there. I think you've made a good choice about work too. Hope this month goes fast for you :)

Jess said...

hahahaha, Love Wills first blogging attempt.

x

Nettie's Blog said...

oh how wonderful to have you back on your Blog beautiful Mel... that little man has you wrapped around his tiny finger... he knows what buttons to push that is for sure and it is his mum's...but he is GORGEOUS... it was great to catch up with you all...if but for such a short hour or so...You are the best MUM and you have the best MAN ...the perfect little family....love ya XXXX

Unknown said...

YAY for Mel being back in the world of blogs! Love you and love your little guy, one sweet cutie pie!!

Stephen and Chernoa said...

You're beautiful Mel:) loved catching up on everything! Xx