Sunday, November 22, 2009

New callings

As all you dedicated bloggers would have realised by now, I've made our blog private.
Anyway, I'll get back to the post.

About 3 weeks ago we were chatting to our Stake President at a friend's engagement party. He asked us if we could meet with him Sunday morning for church. Now we can't say we weren't expecting it, we'd felt promptings for awhile that were preparing us for Pete's new calling.
Pete was called as the second counsellor in the Bishopric in the Prospect Ward. He was ordained as a High Priest that very day. We were really happy that his Dad and Mum were able to come up at such short notice, and that his Dad was able to perform the ordination. Pete was then set apart as the second counsellor by our Stake President (Clements).
Of course Pete's mum and I cried during the blessings. Pete would never aspire to any calling, nor bignote himself, but I am so proud of my husband. I know he will serve with love and diligence, as he does in all facets of life. Something I admire about him is his acceptance of people, and empathy for them, even if they haven't been particularly friendly towards him.
Pete and I had both been serving as Primary teachers and just loved our callings. I wasn't released until today from Primary when I was called as (surprise surprise) 2nd counsellor in YW's. Most of you will know that I've pretty much served in YW's continuously since I was 18. It has been nice to have a break over the past 7 months, but I am looking forward to working in the Youth program again. I know it's where Heavenly Father wants me to be! I am really devastated to be leaving my gorgeous class of 10-11 year olds, but hope I'm still in YW's as they enter the program!! I have one joining me in April next year, so we were very excited about that today.
We've both been helping out in Primary with the Sacrament Presentation which is next week. The kids are so cute - the little ones sing the loudest and say their parts with the most confidence and total lack of inhibition. I LOVE IT! I wish us older people were more confident, and sang with more gusto.
I'll have to fill you in on how we go next week.

Getting back to Pete's calling - I've told him that just because he's a High Priest now, he does not have the option of falling asleep on the stand! When he's looking sleepy I pull faces at him - subtle ones though :-)



9 comments:

danandcami said...

So it worked I could get on your blog!! Pete does a great job at his calling and my daughters response today were:" I am not as sad that you are leaving primary mom as I am that Sister Watt is leaving." Then she went on to ask "Do you think she will still be in there when we are 12?" I told her I thought so and that seemed to lessen the blow. Thanks for being a fabulous teacher for my daughters. You will both do great in your new responsibilities.

Unknown said...

wooo hoooo- I logged into our blog-so exciting! You guys are just wonderful! Pete is doing a great job and you will we AWESOME in young women's- I'm going to keep an eye out for your subtle faces to keep Pete awake!

melandpeter said...

Cami, you're girls are so so great. I just adore them, and all the class. I'm so sad to be leaving them. I just wish they were all 12 now, and coming into YW's with me! I hope I'll be in there as they all come into the program - that would be pretty special.
Don't worry about being the 2nd favourite - it's a teenage thing :-)
I know you will be fantastic in your new calling also! Exciting times for all of us in Prospect.
Kelly, I loved that you were looking just so thrilled about your calling on Sunday. You'll be awesome too. How fun that you'll both be working with each other and Sue - she's gorgeous.
You'll have to let me know Kelly if my faces are appropriate! xx

Nettie's Blog said...

Congratulations to you both...Pete you will be an awesome councellor and as for nodding off up there..that comes with the calling so start practising...he he
Oh Mel i wish you guys were here in Tassie...i am loving YWs too and with Bonnie and Kym Rogers in there with us we make a formidable team... most of all though we love the Lord and those girls...they know that too and hopefully their testimonies will grow as they hear and see ours...thats all we can ask for ....you will be magnificent in the alling you love and i know you love the YW... they are so lucky to have you!!!!

Watson said...

Congrats with your new callings guys! You'll both be great wherever you serve. Do you still remember serving together in nursery Mel? That was fun. I still remember little Tate praying that "Jesus will come round today!"

melandpeter said...

Nicki - I will never forget that time in Nursery. I really felt that was a special opportunity to serve with you in that calling xx Love those kids and YOU. I can still remember the look of concentration, and Tate's ocker accent saying those exact words. It was so hard not to laugh!!
Nettie, I miss Tassie heaps. Sounds like you have an amazing thing going on. It's rarer than you'd think to have such a connection between a presidency - total unification. Not to say that all presidencies find it hard working together, I just think that sometimes you get a truly special bond happening. It's the same when you work with particular companions on your mission! I love the gospel so much. You all strengthen my testimony heaps. xx

Cullis Family said...

Wow what a complete change for you both. I am jealous you are in YW's - hopefully one day I can serve there!

melandpeter said...

You'd be fanastic in YW's Anna. I'm sure you'll get an opportunity one of these days!!

The Kings said...

oh that is great!! Congrats to both of you.