Sunday, January 19, 2014

Summer Holiday Loving

Having almost 2 weeks in Tassie over Christmas was awesome. When we visit Tassie we usually fit in a lot of catch-ups and do a bit of travelling around the state to do so. 
I just wasn't up for it this year and with Henry being so little I didn't want to venture too far from home in Launie. I was sad we didn't see many people but we were happy that we spent so much time with my family.

Dad's health has deteriorated a lot in the last couple of months so we all spent a lot of time close to home. Dad's battle with cancer has been arduous for mum in particular but I can say with certainty that it has made us take stock of our relationships. My brothers - who haven't been overly social in the past are really savouring family time and I love that they are trying hard to be there for mum and dad. It's nice to feel a bond with my family members and I'm especially grateful that my brothers and I are getting closer. They are wonderful Uncles to my boys and I love them for that! Mum is struggling as only a wife can. I really feel for her but also get frustrated with her negativity at times. When we first got to Tassie she was pretty down in the dumps but it was great to see her spirits lift over Christmas and I hope she can remain positive and just value time with Dad. Mum has had so much hardship in her life already and I hate that we're not closer to support her. 

It's amazing the impact that children have on people. Will and Henry are such happy souls and light up the room with their joy. It just radiates from them and I'm so proud to be their mummy! I am overwhelmed at how much I have been blessed and hope I can cherish my family everyday...even when they test my patience at times. 

Dad spends a lot of time in his room trying to nap (he doesn't sleep too well these days) and leads a sedentary lifestyle overall. However, he is such an involved Grandad. His bond with Will is unshakable and I love that Will understands that he has to play differently with Grandad than his other family members. Dad is great at inventing games and expanding Will's already active imagination. When will woke up in the morning he often bypassed our room and took himself downstairs to wake up Nana and Grandad. Dad would play in his bed with Will by creating a fort with the blankets and it became "The Ice-Cave" because of the blue bedding and the light patterns that they could see while playing underneath it. I solemnly hope that in years to come Will will recall these precious memories and that they will build his character. 

After one afternoon where silly Nana had Will painting in his good T-shirt she found an old shirt for Will to wear. He loves painting at the moment.



Aunty Pat and Dad looking more and more alike. I'm so glad we could spend time with them again. We got to see them last year when we went to Cairns but Pete hadn't seen them since our honeymoon. 




Henry loves a bath and kicks around in there like crazy. He almost jumps out of his little bath seat so you have to watch him like a Hawk! I adore his curls - especially after a bath. 


I was so excited to catch up with my beautiful friend Lisa and her little family. Lisa gave birth to her second child, Charlie in July and I have been hanging out to meet her gorgeous little man! He and Henry had a good little chat together. It was so lovely to exchange Christmas gifts and enjoy morning tea together with our families. Will and Emme (Lisa's oldest) are good mates. When we left Will exclaimed "I like Emme, mummy. Go to Emme's house tomorrow!" I'm glad we snuck in another catch up at the City Park and Pete and Rich kept an eye on the older kids so Lis and I could nurse our hungry boys and just lounge on the lovely grass under a tree. Thanks guys! 


It's always nice to attend church in Launceston and catch up with all the lovely members I've known all my life. Will had a great time in Nursery and Pete and I were so impressed with the lovely Nursery leader and how structured it was. Will loved that he was given HEAPS of food, including a cupcake. He is really into cakes lately!


My Nana was thrilled to meet Henry for the first time. She is a happy and bright lady at the best of times but lights up even more around babies. It was so sweet to see Henry interacting with her as he does. I love this photo of them together. I am so privileged to have my Nana (who is 92) still around. She still lives on her own and looks after herself pretty well. She gets help from my parents and has someone clean once a fortnight but she is still quite self-sufficient. I hope for her sake she can live out her days in her own home. What a special lady she is.



We were surprised that the Garbage was collected on Christmas Day. Will's obsession with Garbage trucks is still going strong so he was thrilled to see the Garbage truck go up and down the street. We also had a bit of a chat to the Garbage Truck driver and wished him a Merry Christmas. If I'd know he was coming I would have given him a treat bag or something. I think he was chuffed that we chatted to him for a few minutes. Will also picked me a few dandelions while we were waiting for the truck.
One afternoon mum and I took Will and Henry out to Hillwood Berry Farm. I had heard a lot about the yummy berries there and was excited to pick them with Will. It was a very hot day and I was a bit uneasy as I couldn't find Will's hat in the car. He had sunscreen on but the Tassie sun is very fierce. After about 20 minutes of berry picking I got mum to take him into the shade so I could finish the berry piucking. We picked Raspberries and Strawberries. They were divine. The Strawberry's were enormous and both berries were full of flavour. 

Henry and I sat in the shade of the cafe with a lovely cool breeze and I nursed him while Will played in a splash pool the owners had set up for their own kids. It was such a friendly vibe there as the owners invited Will to use the pool with their kids to cool off. Will also enjoyed a bounce on the trampoline while my mum went to buy the berries and a raspberry ice-cream for us all. It was so good!



Henry and I enjoying the shade

This is Will on the way home. He'd had a very big day!
Will did get just a touch sunburnt (more like a light tan really) on the back of his neck and his legs and arms. He ended up with a little farmers tan. We stopped at another little farm on the way home and bought cherries as well. Berries and cherries are my favourite summer foods!

The next day Pete made his yummy pancakes and we had Simeon and Reuben join us for berry pancakes. They were so delicious we had them the next day aswell. The Natural yoghurt and drizzle of maple syrup was such a good combination. I'm craving them again now that I write this!

Our last Saturday in Tassie Pete and I took the boys to Inveresk Railway Museum. I was so impressed that it was completely free. They just suggest making a donation which I was more than happy to do. The museum was similar to Scienceworks in Melbourne, just on a much smaller scale. I was surprised that there was hardly anyone there but pleased that we didn't have to queue for any of the displays. Will loves trains and anything interaction so he had a great time. 

I love doing stuff like this as a family and look forward to more of these kind of outings in the future, especially as the boys get older and more interested in the details of these kind of places. 




We had such a wonderful time in Tassie and found it hard to leave!!



No comments: