We found out back in January that dad's cancer had spread and that there were limited treatments left. He could have only one more round of Chemo. This was a real kick in the guts - especially after Dad went through an intensive treatment of stem cell therapy which we were all expecting to really help.
Mum took it the hardest and ended up having a manic episode. The worst in a long time. I couldn't blame her. She had been strong and hopeful for so long. In February I had to spend a few weeks at home while both mum and dad were sick. It was such a tough time. I was worried about dad, mum was almost impossible to communicate with and I was 9 weeks pregnant. I just couldn't tell mum due to her condition and Pete had been sent to Jakarta for 4 weeks. Simeon dealt with it by avoiding everyone. He had his own battles to sort through and just couldn't be around dad for fear he would fall apart himself. Reuben was in Brisbane struggling to find work and supporting both him and his girlfriend. So there was me...with beautiful Will. I wasn't coping well with mum and then Dad ended up being hospitalized with an abscess that almost went toxic. His blood count dropped dangerously and he just had to be in hospital to get better. I almost cried with relief when Reuben ended up coming over to visit for the last week I was there.
Will kept us all going though. He just knows how to light up a room that boy!
He and dad have a special bond and you can just see the joy they bring to each others lives. I know my dad is fighting his condition mostly so he can be an influence in the lives of his Grandchildren. It hit me hard when dad said his goal is to live until Will is 8. That's not even 6 years away now!! He has his doubts he'll make it that long but I pray his life is preserved so he can have that wish. Dad is so calm about it all. Mum was in total denial and I think that's a big reason she took so long to get better this time.
This picture is very precious. It just shows how much they love each other!
It's crazy to look back to that time (now only a few months later) and think how awful it was. Dad's condition isn't any better, in fact he's been told that the current round of Radiation he's having is a once off and the very last form of treatment he can have. However, I think we've all come to terms with what's happening. Mum is better albeit a little flat emotionally. Reuben moved back to Tassie and he and Simeon has been a lot more supportive. Dad still has what he calls his "lofty goal" of sticking around another 5 years or so but it hurts when my mum talks about dad as if there is little hope. A lot of people have written him off and whilst I don't think I'm in denial, I chose to think that miracles happen and that dad can reach his goals of serving a mission and living until Will turns 8. Heck, he could even be totally cured.
Dad and I were talking on the phone and he was saying that after all he's been through over the last 3-4 years he can really appreciate why people say "battling with cancer." Dad has to continually fight for quality of life. He has become even wiser and I am trying to lap up his advice and treasure all the conversations we have. I hope that no matter what happens, Will will be able to remember his Grandad and continue to feel that loving bond they share. I never knew my Grandad and I hope my children will at the very least get to meet their grandad and have some wonderful memories of being with him. For he is truly an amazing man!

No comments:
Post a Comment