Monday, October 15, 2012

The Big 3 0

Back in August I celebrated my 30th Birthday. I was thrilled that my parents could be there to celebrate with me too. I didn't want a big party but wanted to celebrate a little differently to normal. The idea of an intimate dinner with a few close friends came to me months earlier so I was happy to stick with that.

Pete asked me to keep the Friday night and Saturday morning free so he could take me out for dinner and then we would go off in the morning again for whatever he was planning. We would then come back ion the afternoon with plenty of time to get organised for my dinner party. I am very hard to surprise and have a knack for guessing when anyone tries to surprise me so I was just expecting a really nice meal out somewhere. I was going to pick Peter up from work and then he would surprise me with the choice of restaurant. 

When it came to time to get ready to go out I could not find my new jeans anywhere. Since losing a lot of weight recently I only have one pair of jeans that are dressy enough to go out in and I don't have a single pair of other dressy pants that fit so I was starting to get irritated. Mum helped me look and we turned my room upside down. I found a pair of jeans that were the same sort of style but a bigger size but they fit ok so I settled on those. I then wanted to find a nice bra to wear (for later on...if you know what I mean) and my lingerie was completely gone. That's when it clicked...Pete had taken my lingerie and my favourite jeans because we were staying somewhere overnight (And I guess he was hoping he'd get lucky ;-) I was almost mad at him because he'd inadvertently caused me to stress about missing all those clothes and by this stage I was running really late. I snapped out of my grump pretty quick though and packed a bag of clothes etc because I knew Pete probably would have forgotten something!

Pete met me on Exhibition Street and had me park in the Rydges car park. He told me that's where we were staying and that we were having dinner in the hotel. When we dropped my gear up to the hotel I was so excited to see our room. We had this massive apartment style room with a spa and little deck around it built into the area behind our bed. It was pretty cool and very fancy. I didn't get a photo of the spa unfortunately.

Our dinner was very nice and we enjoyed cuddling up next to each other in our own booth!

Me in the jeans that are too big and my new jacket that was a birthday pressie from mum :-)

Do not disturb!

The weather was so cold but we wanted to go for a walk and see if we could find something yummy for dessert. We noticed a cute little cafe that sold Macaroons. I had never tried them so we bought a few to share. Well, apart from the first one that was raspberry and very nice, the other flavours were revolting. I'm not sure if we just got a dud cafe but my experience with macaroons was a big let down. Darn you Masterchef for making them look delectable!

The next morning we had a buffet breaky and then Pete whisked me off to a day spa for a massage and facial. It was really lovely. He really went above and beyond what I expected and I felt completely spoilt. I now have to think of something great to do for his 30th. At least I have 2 more years to think about it

Mum and I had spent the previous day making food and preparing things for my dinner party and then I left mum to cook everything on the night. She also volunteered to make me a cake. It looked pretty wonky but in the end it tasted amazing.

Our menu was Thai style gyoza, crispy pork belly and braised fennel, black bean blue swimmer crab followed by Chocolate and raspberry mousse cake. SO GOOD!!

Sare and Bobbi about to tuck in
The lovely Nicki. So great to have you in Melbourne now Noodles. x



Mr Blue Swimmer Crab with his beady eyes looking up at me!
A bit out of focus but my pretty lanterns look nice



CAKE!!!
My lovely guests, minus Carissa and Essie who couldn't be there...
We couldn't find any candles so used the one we have in case of blackouts.



It was so nice to just relax at home with good friends, great company and plenty of conversation. It really was the perfect Birthday.

1 comment:

Nettie's Blog said...

what a great suprise you had Mel...you have the best MUM...so much LOVE happening that weekend...XXXXXX