Thursday, October 27, 2011

Stopover in Perth

On the way back from Bali we had a short stay at Perth, Western Australia. I've been hearing for ages what a great place it is and was looking forward to having just a taste of it. Perth is a really pretty city right on a nice lake. Not like the yucky Torrens in Adelaide or the equally yucky Tamar in Launceston (though both of those rivers have their charms too I guess)




Will with the Grandparents

We got in about lunchtime and didn't leave until midnight the following evening (on a red eye flight to Melbourne)

When we got to Perth we went straight to our accommodation in Kings Park. It was basically old flats they'd converted into apartment style accommodation. It was old but fairly spacious and right on the edge of Perth CBD. Kings Park is a really pretty area and the city of Perth was really easy to navigate and very easy to walk around with a Pram. Will loved being in his Pram and would lean over the edge as far as he could, stretch forth his arms and yabber away. It looked like he was calling out to the world as we were walking. Very cute!!
I didn't get a photo of said description but this is Will in the Pram

We had a yummy dinner at Hogs Breath Cafe and a nice walk around the city before an early night. We didn't venture too far the next day either but walked down to the wharf and caught the Ferry over to the other side of the lake and visited the Perth Zoo.
Pete and Will on the Ferry

Will loves looking out of windows

A pelican ready to devour his lunch

Dad's still working out how to use his new camera and accidentally took this shot.

It was a gorgeous day and we were just loving being outdoors. I think Will was a bit too young to appreciate the Zoo. I have no idea what his visibility is like for long distance but he didn't seem to notice or indicate interest in the animals we pointed out along the way :-(
I enjoyed the Zoo though :-) The highlight though was the Carousel. I noticed it as we were leaving the Zoo and insisted on taking Will on his first Carousel ride. Now that, he did love. I also loved every minute of it.

He loved the bright colours. He kept trying to suck on the gold pole and was looking up at the lights all the time.

I think dad found it hard to time the photos as we came around
as lots of them were blurred but he captured Will's joy in these shots don't you think?!


Will was still so excited after the ride was over!!

The thing I was dreading the most about our holiday was the flight home from Perth. We weren't due to leave until 11:50pm, fly for 3 hours but arrive in Melbourne at 6am due to the time difference. When we booked the flight Will was only 2 months old and I thought, he's a baby, he'll sleep well anywhere...Anyway, to make things easier on us mum and I searched for some sort of Moses basket to take with us on the plane that he could sleep in across our laps. As most of these baskets and basinets are so small and Will is a giant baby we nearly gave up. A few days before we were due to go to Bali mum found a nice long baby bed in a Babyland store in Hobart. It was a real lifesaver let me tell you. I fed Will to sleep at the airport around 9pm and placed him in the carrier thing across the chairs and he slept right until we had to board the place. Then once we'd taken off he fell asleep again and slept the entire flight - what a little legend!!

This is Will in his carrier at the airport. I propped up the stroller in front of the chairs and draped a blanket over him to block out the light and little of the noise. It was like a portable little man cave :-)

When we landed in Melbourne Will didn't even stir as I got him out of the carrier and carried him from the plane. He remained asleep draped over my shoulder even as we collected our luggage and waited for a taxi in the Melbourne cold! He remained asleep all the way home and I just put him in his cot once we were home and he was still completely out of it. All of us had a 3 hour nap while Will slept. I couldn't believe how good Will was. I am so lucky to have such a relaxed and happy bub. I was so proud of him and kept telling him that all day!!

He must have been so stuffed from all the holiday excitement and travel because I put him to bed at 7pm that night and he slept until 10am the next day....and almost slept for the same amount of time the following night. It meant Pete and I were able to get the rest we needed too.

So there you have it, that's our amazing trip in a not so little nutshell. Hope you guys enjoyed the update :-)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Perth is a really pretty place! Love the pictures of you and Will on the carousel!! Cutest little family ever!

Collette said...

That IS pretty, i really have to go there one day! The shots of will on the merry go round are classic! He's loving it!

Jess said...

wee nice holiday blogging