Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Australian Dream

Like many couples, Pete and I have a dream - a dream to own our very own house. It doesn't need to be a mansion. We just want a modest house with at least 3 bedrooms that has a decent size backyard for the kids to play in. Every year of our marriage we've see friends and associates (the same age as us) achieving this same dream. Some build from scratch, others renovate, some buy brand new homes. We are so excited for them and after receiving a tour through their new homes Pete and I excitedly discuss what we loved and what we'd do differently if it was our house. We'd always discuss our Dream, thinking it could be achieved in another year or so (2012-2013).

During the first few years of our marriage I worked full time while Pete completed his Engineering degree. I was happy to work and absolutely adored my job, but always looked forward to my future role as a stay at home mum. Pete graduated and got a great job in Melbourne so we moved, still thinking that we could achieve our dream in this more expensive State of Australia.

As with any life changing event there are unexpected factors. We didn't expect we'd have to live 45 mins from Melbourne, or that we'd struggle on Pete's wage to save much at all. We didn't expect that as an Engineer, Pete's pay and subsequent pay rises would be so modest. We didn't expect that after Pete visited a local bank and made a few calls about loans that our Dream was in fact very much out of reach..... Pete arrived home and shared with me the reality of our situation and we were both left feeling very down. Whilst we have a nice house we're renting, we're over paying "dead" money and having no backyard! We're simply just wanting to be at that next stage and achieve our dream. I immediately felt pressure (that I put on myself) to go back to work. I even started thinking that we should probably delay having our second child (by a few years) so we could afford a home loan (Many banks deduct huge amounts from loans for each dependent you have).

Anyway, after lamenting about our situation for a full day I took stock of what we do have, not what we dont! We are so blessed to live where we do. I know it's cliched but I honestly believe that Australia is the 'Lucky country' (in the sense of our wealth, natural resources and weather etc). Pete and I have great health, a beautiful son, strong education backgrounds and the ability to support ourselves financially. Whilst it is not financially possible to own our own home for awhile, we are already living what many people around the world only dream of. We have clean water, sanitation, employment, and most importantly we have the gospel of Jesus Christ. The family being the central part of the gospel. Thoughts of delaying the growth of our family to own our own home is not going to help us achieve our dream any quicker. That's not how Heavenly Father works. Whilst I may in fact need to go back to work next year, it will be for the right reasons and will be carefully and prayerfully considered.

In the meantime, I'll keep doing what I can to save our pennies. It may sound like a waste of time to many, but online surveys have been very helpful. I'm getting regular gift vouchers and small cash payments which helps incredibly with things like gifts and occasional treats for ourselves...I will also look into doing tutoring from home....

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

Thanks for adding me to your blog! I love this post, it resonates very close to home!

Nettie's Blog said...

you are an awesome MUM and Pete is the Best Dad ever...you have cutest little miracle to love and care for...there will be a season for you and just think what you have learned and taught on the journey... HE will provide...HE never said we would be rich but we will never want ...Love you guys..XXXXX

Jess said...

Naw, I know your pain! hahaha, can't believe they take such astronomical amounts off you for having children. AND the first home buyers doesn't even cover the fees. Did you know that if you build a new home in rural Victoria (well Geelong hehe) that they will grant you $28 000? Also, there is a special bank account that you can get (government initiative) and its gives great interest but the minimum amount of time is like 5 years or something before you can use the money/take anything out.

LOVE you guys, we should play this week?

melandpeter said...

Didn't know that Jess. Will have to look into it. Would love a play date this week. Our place?? Thurs and Fri are best for us. xx